The Logan Historic District is a significant representative of a southeastern Ohio town that was associated with industry and mineral extraction during the 19th and early 20th centuries. It meets Criterion A for its association with local broad patterns of history, including commerce, industry, and settlement. The district also meets Criterion C for architecture. Logan has an intact collection of mid 1800s to mid 1900s architectural styles and building types. Popular late 19th century and early 20th century architectural styles, as well as vernacular building types, are present within the district. Additionally, locally produced clay materials, such as glazed tile blocks, differing brick types, rusticated concrete block, and paver-bricks are present in many locations in the historic district.
The nominated district is comprised of Logan's historic commercial district and adjacent residential streets. In addition to commercial and residential properties, the district also contains significant institutional buildings such as churches, government buildings, and fraternal buildings. The Period of Significance, c.1831-1960, begins with the construction date of the George Smith House and ends with the 50-year cut-off for National Register listing. Three eras of development occurred in Logan during the Period of Significance and the historic district reflects these eras and the predominant themes associated with those time periods. Logan’s development and history can be roughly divided into the eras of early settlement and the canal, the railroad and clay industry, and the Depression and post WWII.
Welcome to Logan, Ohio and scenic Hocking County. These walking tours have been designed to assist you in learning about Logan’s cultural, historical and architectural heritage. Each tour takes about 45 minutes to complete, and each starts at Worthington Park in downtown Logan, across from the courthouse. If you would like to print this information off, please download our PDF version. We have it with and without pictures. A separate Hilltop Tour is available for those wanting to explore more of Logan's rich history. Tour information is printed in our historic walking tour brochures. Printed brochures can be picked up at the Hocking County Historical Museum, Savings Hardware, The Bowen House, Hocking Hills Fro-Yo, Maya Burrito, and at local hotels.
Worthington Park(1) Worthington Park was designated as a farmers' market by Governor Thomas Worthington when he platted Logan in 1816. The town of Logan was named after the Mingo Chief John Logan. As the town grew, it was incorporated on March 5, 1839.
Hocking County Courthouse(2) Hocking County Courthouse – Corner of Main and Market – is a neo-classical structure completed in 1925. This building, the third courthouse on this site, was designed by Frank L. Packard, a well known architect of that era. This was once the site of a Native American mound.
The Keynes House(3) Keynes House – 88 South Market – is a Colonial Revival structure built in 1905 by Charles Keynes, then owner of Keynes Mill. Keynes Mill is Logan’s oldest continuing industry with the fifth generation of the family in the milling business.
The Wright House(4) Wright House – 9 East Second – was built in 1889 by prominent farmer Charles Wright. The site, now a commercial business, was constructed in the Queen Anne style.
The Bell-Metzler Home(5) Bell-Metzler Home – 107 South Market – built prior to 1893, this house has components of the original log cabin first built on this lot when it was acquired from the heirs of Thomas Worthington. The home has been in the Bell-Metzler family since 1921.
Wellman-Moorehead House(6) Wellman/Moorehead House – Southeast corner of West Front and South Spring Streets – This small red brick house was built between 1880 and 1891 by John Wellman. The old bed of the Hocking Canal is located on the rear of the property.
Keynes Bros. Mill(7) Keynes Bros. Mill – 1 West Front – was founded in 1869 on the banks of the Hocking Canal by Robert Keynes from England. The original structure burned in 1886 while the present building has been here since 1889. Still operated by the Keynes family, the flour mill grinds 20,000 bushels of wheat per day and produces 870,000 pounds of white flour per day. Photo by Skip Humphrey, Copyright by Jerry Uhl.
King Kitchen and Bath(8) King Kitchens and Baths – 67 East Front – The original portion of the King Lumber Company is a post and beam constructed warehouse built on the Hocking Canal in 1855. In 1861, J. E. Tritsch built a woolen mill and warehouse near the Hocking Canal. Wool goods for the Union Army were produced here. Products included yarn, blankets, coverlets, and flannel. In 1908, the site became the Lumber and Supply Company and in 1936 the King Lumber Company was established.
The Dental Clinic(9) Dental Clinic – 160 South Mulberry – This landmark building is an example of the Italian style and has been used for a variety of businesses for many years. Beginning in 1886, it has seen use as a high school, locker plant, department store, Grange store, World War II bomb shelter, and is presently a dental clinic.
Are you interested in learning more about the history of Logan?